Saturday, November 28, 2009

Saturday - Week 3

We begin week 3 and it is hard to believe all that Kn has achieved and endured. Unfortunately they had to put her back on the vent on wednesday because she just wasn't strong enough to clear the fluids from her lungs on her own. Since then her strong will and tenacity have kicked into high gear. She asked for a portable vent so that she could get out of bed and sit in a chair and has had the PT group up as much as they will come. She stayed sitting up until they made her go back to bed and she wasn't happy about that . They made a brace for her right hand to keep it from curling and they told her with PT she should get feeling and movement back though most likely it will take a year. They have told her that movement is critical to getting healthy and she has definitely taken it to heart!!!!

They were talking about getting her off of the vent today but now it doesn't look like it. They are doing a needle extraction of the fluids in her lungs (a minor and low risk procedure) and will take her into surgery later this afternoon to put in a permanent dialysis port. They DO feel that her kidneys will kick-in in the next few weeks and that there will be no permanent damage. She says she is hungry - a milkshake please!!!!

The doctors have told us that this is a long process and that there will be occasional set backs. Her long term prognosis is good so we pray for patience!!!

Her Dad is with her and she is very happy about that. He seems to be able to motivate her better than I can. I got to come home for a few days but am going back tomorrow. It felt great to sleep in my own bed and pet the puppys!

I am going to check out a long-term care facility close to home and hopefully we will be able to move her there when she is ready to move out of critical care.

Thanks to all for your love and support. It has really helped us through this difficult time- I share them all Kristi too. XOXO Jayme

2 comments:

  1. Jayme and Mark, I hope you know how much a part of Kristi's experiences we are all sharing, thanks to your blog notes. Please give Kristi a big hug. When I think of her I remember when Dad (Grandaddy Nunn) and I drove up for afew days. Kristi was still pre-teen and walked up quietly to me and took my hand and and told me she wanted me to have her bed room. I did and woke up to the most gorgeous snowfall I've ever seen. In the early morning, Kristi came in and crawled in bed with me and we watched the snowfall. Such a gentle time. Hang in there, Sweetheart and you'll have lotz more of your gentle snowfalls to enjoy!!
    Love,
    Aunt Sherry, Rob-Bob and Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the blog, I check it daily and pray for miracles with Kristi and patience for you and your family. Let me know if I can do anything for you in Aptos, I'll be home from Cabo on Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete